Sunday 14 February 2016

In Which I Rave About The Neverending Story

I've just finished reading Michael Ende's The Neverending Story and was flabbergasted by how good it is. How is it that nobody has ever stopped me, grabbed me by the lapels, and demanded to know why I haven't read it since I was a kid? It is the most psychologically interesting (Freud would have been proud of it), imaginative (it puts the derivative shite pumped out under the 'Young Adult' category nowadays to shame), and moving (it had me in tears at the end) childrens' book I have read....well, ever.

[Spoilers below]

What I was impressed most with about the story is just how subtly and carefully Ende challenges the reader's assumptions about what has come before, in a way that seems totally consistent and believable even when turning on a sixpence. For instance, there is so much going on, thematically, in the second half of the book that you don't realise, until the very end, that much of what has been going on can be explained by the fact that Bastian is grieving for his lost mother and is, basically, in need of love. Ende never says as much and Bastian barely even thinks about his parents during the course of the novel, but then suddenly in the final chapters he does, and the entire story changes its complection completely. Yet Ende makes this feel totally genuine - not a curve ball in the slightest. All of Bastian's actions make sense when seen through that lens. The book has a pattern of doing this, even in the smallest incidents - my favourite being the transformation of the achari into the shlamoofs, which is set up one way and then shifts in the reader's mind again and again as the story progresses.

The next most impressive thing about it is the refreshing lack of sentimentality in it. I absolutely loved the reunion scene between Atreyu and Bastian at the end. Ende resists all urges to sentimentalise the scene with hugs, requests for forgiveness, etc. Instead the two boys just look at each other. That's enough. All is forgiven, and neither needs to say it. Totally realistic, totally believable when it comes to how human beings actually behave. All of the book is like that. Not over dramatic, no Hollywoodisms.

And the third most impressive thing about it is just how much it makes you think. It's been a long, long time since I've read a book that has been such food for thought. As a result of reading it I've ruminated over the nature of the imagination, why fiction exists, what friendship is, what it means to grow up from a boy into a man, the nature of memories, the relationship betwen creativity and lying, you name it. I've also got a lot of vignettes which are really quite profound and which I'll be thinking over for a long time: why did Xayide's creations kill her - or did she kill herself? Was Bastian right to transform the achari? Was he right to give his mule what her heart desired? What is so tempting about The Nothing? What is the nature of Gmork?

It is a stunningly good book, and that rarest of rare things: a fantasy novel which I'm sure I'll go back to again and again. Read it.

8 comments:

  1. the neverending story was my favourite story when i was a kid, though i haven't touched it for over 2 decades now. guess it's time to reread it, thanks for calling it to mind!

    have you read anything else from michael ende? you might enjoy momo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should definitely re-read it. A totally different experience as an adult, I think.

      Delete
  2. We watched the movies constantly when I was a kid, but I think I was at university by the time I discovered the book. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it for the first time last year while sick in bed. Great stuff, indeed. I'm not surprised Ende was horrified by the movie (even though that will always have a place in my heart) and spoke out against it for the remainder of his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't remember the film very well. I only saw it once and I was very young. I read somewhere that Ende actually took legal action in an effort to prevent the sequel being released.

      Delete
  4. When I re-read it last year I was struck by how much of the book is an exploration of awakening - the gates you cannot pass through if you are trying to pass through them, the highest part of the tower that has no way in, the intermediate stages of confusion (there's nothing, it's all a void.... there's everything, but it all comes from me, I am the godhead) and the coming to peace through compassion and recognition of right relation. There is some seriously potent stuff at work in that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm really surprised I've never come across more critical engagement with the book. I wonder if it's because the film was so popular and well known that everybody just dismisses the book as being for kids.

      Delete
  5. The Neverending Story is the best children's novel there is. It's one of the only two books I've ever finished and immediately started rereading, the other being The Book of the New Sun. There's so much to dig into on repeat readings.

    ReplyDelete